Wednesday, March 11, 2009

How Good is God?

What are the things that keep you from getting closer to God? This quote from Bill Hybels rang my bell. I think he's dead-on.
Often what keeps a person who is "close to Christ" from becoming "Christ-centered" is that, at a deep level, he or she doubts the goodness of God: "I don't know if God is good enough to put together a plan for my future that's better than the one I can put together for myself." We're asking people to bet the farm on the goodness of God.

1 comment:

  1. First off - I found your blog from your sign outside the church - I drive by regularly on the way to my own church home :) Nice to get to connect (albeit virtually) to some neighbors and brothers and sisters in Christ!

    Hybels' quote is an interesting one and actually makes me think of a verse I was just reading this morning in Hebrews 11:6 "But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him."

    We have to believe (1) that He is and (2) that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him (I actually blogged on this verse a year ago - if you're interested Substance of Faith).

    I guess in Hybels' quote what I wonder is whether it's that people doubt God's ability or desire to reward... or if they doubt they are worth rewarding (i.e. that perhaps they don't diligently seek Him) or some combination.

    Either way the answer is simply to seek God with all your heart and to trust Him with all of it too... which of course, is not always as simple as it sounds :)

    ReplyDelete