Friday, March 20, 2009

Getting out of the Christian Ghetto

This caught me off guard the other day and reminded me why we followers of Jesus lack so much cultural credibility.


For $69.99, I could buy this crown of thorns.



If I could only spare a dollar or two, I could have these Scripture mints or these chocolates with a Scripture verse printed on the packaging.



I will resist the incredibly powerful urge to publish the name of this "christian" store (believe me the urge is almost overpowering) and will only shake my head in disbelief.

This is the commodification of faith, not the practice of it. This is turning followers of Jesus into a market segment, not empowering them to be the Body of Christ--the literal hands and feet of Jesus to a broken world--in the world.

When we frequent these places, we go deeper into the bowels of a Christian ghetto of our own making and miss our calling to be the light of the world--a light set on a stand for the whole world to see.

Don't miss your calling.

1 comment:

  1. Now a word from our sponsors "Have stinky breath, a stinky life kill two birds with one holy stone and get Scripture Mints. Because Jesus does not like stinky breath or stinky lives!!! Ashlynn

    Sorry could not resist.

    ReplyDelete