Monday, March 9, 2009

$1

"I've been around. And boy do I have some stories. Like the time I was the only tip on a $75 bill left by an senior vice president because he didn't like the service he got from his waitress. She was tired, worn out from taking care of her new baby and just wasn't on her "A" game that night. So the cheapo left just me and none of my friends. Zero compassion that man. I was glad to be out of his hands.

She needed milk for her baby, and since it was a bad night, I and a couple of friends were all she could spare to buy just enough milk to get her baby through the weekend. I felt sorry for her.

And then I was part of the change to a chain-smoking addict, where I promptly entered several rounds of passage in the drug underbelly of a nice suburb. You won't believe whose hands I went through and what I saw. Nightclubs, parties, addicts, addicts and more addicts. They like me a lot. It was a bit crazy for me. Thought I'd even be torn in two several times.

Made a few rounds as the fodder for CD purchases at Best Buy (I'm preferential to U2). Bought a few rolls of toilet paper. Even spent a bit of time in the tip jar at a Starbucks.

But then that barista deposited me in her bank, which is where a church leader came in and picked me up. Some ridiculous idea that came up to give me away and tell people that I have a power to do some good. I kind of like that. Noble and all.

So now I and a bunch of my friends are in the hands of people who finally understand me. Get what I was created for. To add to someone's value instead of trying to buy it. To grow their dignity instead of purchasing it. To make them feel their worth instead making them feel like they don't matter.

I kind of like that."

2 comments:

  1. i like this alot. i waitressed through college and again in grad school. to this day, i'm a waitress at heart. i remember the days where leftover beans and rice from a catering party were my meals for a week.
    i haven't used my gift money yet. am still thinking what i could spend a dollar on. i want to make it something good. has anybody used theirs yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have bought $1 worth of snack (2 small bags of cheese nips) for the two boys next door. My plan is to give them the snacks to enjoy while I tell them a story. Noah's Ark...I think the flood, great big boat and all those cool animals will be very appealing to a 4 and 6 year old. It might also open the door to get to know my neighbors a little.

    ReplyDelete