Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Where, O death is your sting?


I attended a funeral today and I have to say I struggle at funerals. Almost every funeral I have gone to, no matter how well I know the person that is placed before us, I have a difficult time. I have been trying to process this today and here are a few thoughts:

1. I want my life to be about something! I don't want to live and then die and have a few people stand up and talk about how I was funny or nice or whatever. I want my life to be about something. I want my life to represent Christ and his kingdom. Am I doing that?

2. I think about those people I am close to that don't have a relationship with Jesus! I am forced to think about the what ifs? What if my friend never comes to know Him before he dies. Am I playing my part is God redeeming people's lives?

3. I am forced to be reminded that life is short! We waste so much time on some things that really don't matter and miss out on some of the important things. I want to be the best husband, best dad, best person I can be today. What do I need to do to accomplish that?

I always leave thankful that Jesus came to rescue me and to make a way for me to live in eternity with him. I am not really afraid of what is next, but maybe I am afraid of what is NOW! May you and I be who God has called us to be today, not just holding on until the "man upstairs calls us home."

No comments:

Post a Comment