Thursday, April 2, 2009

Start at Home

We're in a bit of an economic slump (in case you hadn't heard), with lots of finger pointing going on about who is to blame.

It's so much easier to blame someone else than to "start at home" and look inside to how I've contributed to the problem. While that's particularly true with the economic situation we're in, it applies to every aspect of life. It's part of what Lent does--it keeps us honest and reveals the degree to which we've contributed to our own problem.

If we can't honestly figure out where we are, we can't take any real steps forward in our relationship with God and we end up resorting to a veneer of spirituality and religiosity.

Gordon MacDonald suggests asking these questions (about the economic downturn...but they apply to any area of life).
Have I lived beyond my personal means?
Have I incurred irresponsible debt?
Have I lived indulgently, a lifestyle directed more by culture than by the influence of Christ?
Has my life's purpose been more about acquiring stuff than living a life of generosity and compassion?

No comments:

Post a Comment